Google Docs is a popular online word-processing tool. One of the most important features of Google Docs is the ability to add comments to documents, which makes it easy for you to provide feedback on the document. It helps you collaborate with your colleagues and do the work in a more efficient manner.
However, it’s common for users to accidentally resolve comments in Google Docs, either by mistake or intentionally because they no longer need them. But what if you want to get the resolved comments back on Google Docs? Fortunately, Google Docs has a built-in feature that allows you to recover resolved comments, so you don’t have to worry about losing important feedback or collaboration.
In this article, I’ll show you how to get back deleted and resolved comments in Google Docs. So without wasting any time let’s begin.
- Brief Overview
- Can You Get Back Deleted Comments On Google Docs?
- Difference Between Deleted And Resolved Comments?
- How To Get Comments Back On Google Docs?
- How To Get Back Deleted Comments On Google Docs?
- How To Get Back Resolved Comments On Google Docs?
- How To Get Comments Back On Google Docs After Submitting?
- Final Verdict
Google Comments are recoverable but only those which were resolved not the ones that were deleted. The deleted comments are gone for good. To recover the resolved comment you can go to the comments history on the Google Docs website as well as the app and select the comment you wish to recover.
Can You Get Back Deleted Comments On Google Docs?
No, you cannot recover deleted comments back on Google Docs you can only recover resolved comments. Once a comment is deleted by you or either the owner of the document, it is gone for good and cannot be recovered.
However, if instead of deleting the comment it was resolved then you can easily get it back from the comments history.
Difference Between Deleted And Resolved Comments?
A deleted comment is a comment you have deleted either mistakenly or intentionally. You cannot recover such comments on Google Docs. However, on the other hand, the resolved comment is something that you have not deleted but instead, have marked as resolved.
Unlike deleted comments, a resolved comment can be recovered on Google Docs and I am going to show you how.
How To Get Comments Back On Google Docs?
As you have seen there are two scenarios in which your comment can go missing from the Google Docs. The first one is you have deleted them. And the second scenario is you have resolved them. Let’s see how you can deal with both scenarios in the article below.
How To Get Back Deleted Comments On Google Docs?
As I told you earlier you cannot get back deleted comments on Google Docs as the comments get deleted immediately as you hit on the delete button. Moreover, they are not saved anywhere. However, if the comment was not deleted by you or the owner of the document then you can contact customer support of Google Docs. They might help you with something.
How To Get Back Resolved Comments On Google Docs?
You can recover resolved comments on Google Docs using the following tips.
1. On Google Docs Website
- Go to your Google Docs dashboard and locate the document where you want to recover a comment. Open the document by clicking on it.
- Look for the comment icon, which is located at the top right corner of the screen beside the Share button. Click on it.
- A list of previously resolved comments will appear on the screen. Scroll through the list to find the comment you want to recover.
- To recover the comment, click on the three vertical dots to the right of the comment. A drop-down menu will appear. Select Re-open from the options provided.
The comment will now be restored to its original position in the document.
2. On Google Docs App
- Launch the Google Docs cell phone app on your smartphone and locate the document where you want to restore a comment. Open the document by tapping on it. Look for the comment icon, which is located at the top right corner of the screen. Tap on it.
- A list of comments associated with the document will appear. Find the affected comment that you want to retrieve and tap on it.
- Next, locate the three horizontal dots icon located to the right of the comment and tap on it.
- A menu will appear with several options. Select Re-open to retrieve the comment.
Your comment will now be restored to its original location within the document.
How To Get Comments Back On Google Docs After Submitting?
You cannot get comments back on Google Docs after submitting them to your teacher or boss. Because once you have submitted a Google Doc, you become the viewer and to whom you have submitted the Doc becomes the owner. Now, only they can see or edit the comment.
If you want to get comments back on Google Docs after submitting then you can ask the owner to unsubmit the Google Docs. Once they do it you will become the owner again and you will be able to get back resolved comments on Google Docs.
Accidentally marking a comment as resolved can be a common occurrence, which can lead to the loss of important feedback. Fortunately, Google Docs has a feature that allows users to recover resolved comments.
While deleted comments cannot be restored, resolved comments can be accessed through the comments history. To retrieve resolved comments, users can either access the comments history through the Google Docs website or mobile app. In the event of a submitted document, only the owner can view, edit, or recover the comments.
Suggested for you:
- How To Recover Permanently Deleted Google Docs File After 30 Days
- How To Recover Permanently Deleted Word Documents Without Backup
- How To Recover Old Version Of The Word Document
What Is The Difference Between Deleted And Resolved Comments In Google Docs?
Deleted comments are comments that have been permanently removed from the document and cannot be recovered. Resolved comments are comments that have been marked as resolved and are hidden from view but can be restored through the comments history.
Can I Recover Resolved Comments In Google Docs?
Yes, resolved comments in Google Docs can be recovered.
Can I Recover Deleted Comments In Google Docs?
No, deleted comments in Google Docs cannot be recovered. Once deleted, they are permanently removed from the document and cannot be restored.