Open Document Text or ODT is an open word processing XML-based file type that can be used on any Office software such as MS Office, WPS Office, Google Docs, etc. In case, you have mistakenly deleted your ODT file then do not be afraid. I will share some easy methods to recover your deleted ODT files.
Moreover, I will dig further to get back your permanently deleted and corrupted Open Document Text file on your device. So without wasting any time let’s get started.
- Brief Overview
- How To Recover Deleted ODT Files
- Method 1: Restore Accidentally Deleted ODT Files From Windows Recycle Bin
- Method 2: Retrieve Deleted ODT Files From Google Drive
- How to Recover Permanently Deleted ODT Files On Windows 10
- How To Get Back Permanently Deleted ODT Files On My Phone
- How To Repair Corrupted ODT File On PC?
- Bonus Tips To Secure Your ODT Files
- Can I Restore Permanently Deleted ODT Files? Final Verdict
An accidentally deleted ODT file can be recovered by using the ctrl+z shortcut key or it can be restored from the Windows Recycle Bin. Moreover, you can get back permanently deleted ODT files by either retrieving them from Google Drive or by using data recovery software.
How To Recover Deleted ODT Files
If you have deleted your ODT files by mistake and you are on the same window then do not worry a bit. You can quickly restore your deleted Open Document Text file by pressing the crtl+Z shortcut key.
Note: The undo shortcut key will only work if you have recently deleted your ODT file.
Method 1: Restore Accidentally Deleted ODT Files From Windows Recycle Bin
Your accidentally ODT files are moved to the Recycle Bin and stay there unless you restore or delete them permanently. If you want to retrieve the deleted ODT file then follow the below-mentioned steps:
1. First, go to the Recycle Bin.
2. Next, right-click to select the ODT file and select the Restore option.
3. Alternatively, if you wish to get back multiple ODT files then press and hold the ctrl key to select the files. Finally, click on Restore the selected items from the menu bar and your deleted ODT files will be restored to their original location.
Method 2: Retrieve Deleted ODT Files From Google Drive
In case, you have created a backup of your important ODT and other files on Google Drive then you can download and restore them on your PC by following the steps below:
1. First, sign into your Google Drive account with the correct login credentials.
2. Next, select the ODT file and click on the 3 dots.
3. Now, click on the Download option and the ODT file will be saved in your PC’s Download folder.
4. On the other hand, if you want to download more than one file at once then select ODT files with the Ctrl key.
5. Finally, right-click the selected ODT files and click on Download.
Note: The above methods will only work if you have backed up your ODT files.
How To Recover Permanently Deleted ODT Files On Windows 10
If you have permanently deleted your essential ODT files from your File Explorer or Recycle bin then it will be nearly impossible to get them back unless you already have a backup.
In case, you are one of those unfortunate souls who weren’t prepared for this then don’t worry. You still have a chance to restore permanently lost ODT file(s) on your device using third-party data recovery software.
EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard
Here I introduce this all-file recovery tool also known as EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard. With this sophisticated data recovery tool you will be able to recover your permanently deleted ODT files in a few steps.
1. First of all, download and install the EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard on your PC. You can download this software using this link.
2. Then open the data recovery software, select the location from where you deleted the ODT file(s), and click on Scan.
3. Once the scanning is over, click on OK.
4. Now, select the Type button and double-click on the Documents tab from the left menu panel.
5. After this, you will see the preview of all types of document formats, just scroll down.
6. Finally, click on the .odt folder and select the ODT files you want to recover. Next, hit the blue Recover button.
Note: Keep in mind, that you may be asked to enter the activation key for the successful recovery of your permanently deleted ODT files.
How To Get Back Permanently Deleted ODT Files On My Phone
Normally all deleted files including ODT files are stored in the Trash folder of your cell phone which can be retrieved within 30 days from the deletion. However, if you miss the 30-day recovery window then the Trash folder will delete your ODT file(s) permanently from your phone.
In case, you have saved ODT files on Google Drive then you can restore them from there. However, if you have not created a backup of your ODT files then what will you do?
If that’s the case then you can get back your permanently lost ODT files by using data recovery software.
Moreover, the software that I will recommend to you is Stellar Data Recovery For Android the most efficient recovery tool. This software is capable of restoring almost all types of video, audio, and document files. You can download and install this data recovery tool on your PC using this link.
Note: Keep in mind that these recovery tools will cost you some dollars but they can surely do their job.
Steps To Get Back Your Permanently Deleted ODT File(s) On Phone
You can retrieve your permanently deleted ODT files with the help of Stellar data recovery for Android software by following the steps which will be divided into 3 parts:
Note: For the demonstration purpose I will be using my Samsung M12 Android phone.
Part 1: Install Stellar Data Recovery For Android
1. Launch the Stellar Data Recovery For Android software on your PC and select the type of data you wish to get back. Then click on Next.
2. Now, connect your phone with a suitable USB cable and select the File Transfer/Android Auto option.
Part 2: Enable USB Debugging
3. After this, Stellar recovery software will ask you to Enable USB Debugging and show the instructions to enable it. However, the process for enabling USB debugging may vary depending on the make of your cell phone. Therefore, I will explain the USB debugging steps for Samsung phones.
4. To enable USB debugging, select Settings on your phone and tap on About phone.
5. Next, select Software information.
6. Then tap 7 times on the Build number. By doing this, the Developer options will appear on your phone’s Settings.
7. Now, go back to Settings and tap on Developer options by scrolling down.
8. Next, toggle on USB debugging and select OK to Allow USB debugging?
Part 3: Recover Permanently Deleted ODT Files
9. Once your phone is connected, click on the Scan button on your PC screen and wait till the scanning is finished. Moreover, do not disconnect or use your phone till the recovery of your permanently deleted ODT files is done.
10. Double-click on the Documents from the left panel and your deleted ODT files will appear on the PC screen.
11. Finally, select the ODT files and click on the Save button. With that, your permanently lost ODT files will be restored on your phone.
How To Repair Corrupted ODT File On PC?
You can get your corrupted ODT file(s) repaired from the Windows File History. You will need an external drive, it could be a USB drive or a hard drive. After that, follow the steps mentioned below:
1. First, connect your external drive to your PC and then open Windows File Explorer.
2. Now, right-click your ODT files folder and select Restore previous versions. Here, you will be able to view multiple versions of the selected ODT file.
3. Next, select the file version and click on Restore. With that, your damaged ODT file will be repaired and stored in its original location.
Note: The above-mentioned steps would not work if you have not enabled the File History before deletion.
Bonus Tips To Secure Your ODT Files
Create Backups For Your ODT Files
Always have a backup of your important ODT files. There are many options through which you can prevent your ODT files from accidental deletion such as: creating multiple copies of your ODT files or storing them on Google Drive. So that you can quickly retrieve your lost ODT files from the backup.
Set Up File History Settings For Your ODT Files
You can set up File History on your PC so that you do not have to worry about a damaged or corrupted ODT file. To do that, follow the below steps:
1. First of all, connect an external drive to your PC and select the ODT folder on File Explorer.
2. Then click on History.
3. Now, a new window will open on your PC screen. Select Configure File History Settings… prompt.
4. Finally, click on the Turn on button and your File history settings will be enabled.
Can I Restore Permanently Deleted ODT Files? Final Verdict
Yes, it is possible to recover deleted Open Document Text files whether you lost them accidentally or intentionally. If you have read this article here then you already know how to restore permanently deleted ODT file(s) on your device. Moreover, you can keep your ODT file safe and sound by implementing the valuable tips that I have explained above.
How Do I Recover My Deleted ODT Files?
You can retrieve your deleted ODT file(s) from your PC's Recycle Bin or download them from your cloud's backup folder.
Can I Import The ODT File Into Google Docs?
Yes, you can easily import ODT files directly from your PC. To do this, select the folder icon on the Google Docs homepage and then click on the Upload tab. Finally, hit the Browse button and select ODT files.
Can I Fix A Crroupted ODT Document?
You can fix a corrupted ODT file by restoring its previous version from Windows File History.